Entrepreneurial Poem

There is no blog post relating to an entrepreneurial guest speaker in yesterday’s class due to purposefully scheduling a  “catch-up/review day” wherein we, among other things, collectively discussed what has been learned from the guest speakers so far this semester.

Below I share with you something entirely different from other posts to this blog. It is a poem written in 1926 by Rachel Field entitled “General Store.” I discovered this poem in a children’s poetry book I have at home. It is there as it is interpreted to be a child’s dream of one day having their own store. It could just as easily be seen as a poetic expression of the entrepreneurial spirit. Enjoy…

General Store by Rachel Field

Someday I’m going to have a store
With a tinkly bell hung over the door,
With real glass cases and counters wide
And drawers, all spilly with things inside.

There’ll be a little of everything:
Bolts of calico; balls of string;
Jars of peppermint; tins of tea;
Pots and kettles and crockery;

Seeds in packets; scissors bright;
Kegs of sugar, brown and white;
Sarsaparilla for picnic lunches,
Bananas and rubber boots in bunches.

I’ll fix the window and dust each shelf,
And take the money in all myself.
It will be my store and I will say:
“What can I do for you today?”

–from the book, Taxis and Toadstools by Rachel Field. 1926. Published by Doubleday & Co., Inc.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized by Terrance Gabel. Bookmark the permalink.

About Terrance Gabel

Terrance G. Gabel is currently an Associate Professor in the Department of Political Economy and Commerce at Monmouth College. Originally from Keokuk, Iowa, Dr. Gabel earned his BBA (Marketing) from the University of Iowa, his Master of Science degree (Marketing) from Texas A&M University, and his Ph.D. (Marketing) from the University of Memphis. He possesses three years of business-to-business sales experience, one year of executive-level marketing management experience for a heavy industrial international trade services firm, and one year of product management experience for a large banking organization. He was also a freelance business writer and consultant for approximately three years.

2 thoughts on “Entrepreneurial Poem