Another Introduction: Gareth Cordery

To say that this election year is exciting is an understatement. It frequently seems like the entire established order has been turned inside out. The popularity of Ted Cruz, Bernie Sanders, and Donald Trump has caused heads to shake (and roll) and old “conventions” to be questioned. For someone interested in journalism like Jacob as well as in political science like me, it is a dream.

My name is Gareth Cordery and it’s an honor to be able to see the inside of the American political process in Cleveland. I grew up in Monmouth and around the college campus. Both of my parents were History professors at Monmouth College, although they now teach at Iowa State University. After graduating from Monmouth-Roseville High School (and taking many dual-credit courses at Monmouth College) this spring, I will be headed to Middlebury College in Vermont where I hope to study political science and/or economics and take advantage of the many opportunities there. Earlier this summer, I interned for Congresswoman Cheri Bustos (IL-17) in Rock Island, Illinois, where I learned about political campaigns from canvassing to finance. Additionally, I am a professional classical pianist and cellist and I was co-captain of my speech team in high school.

I will be covering the Illinois Republican delegation at the Convention, reporting their views and their actions while they are there. As Monmouth College is in the Illinois 17th Congressional District, I will be paying extra attention to the three delegates representing that district: Patrick Harlan, Rich Nordstrom, and Richard Conklin. In that group is a current elected local official, a candidate running for the US Congress, and a local businessman. Two of them are Donald Trump delegates, one was elected as a Ted Cruz delegate. I have no doubt that it will be interesting to hear their opinions about this election year.

Politics and the media have always had a fraught relationship. Often the two clash, but in reality one is almost always required by the other. As someone interested in the governmental process, getting to know the media on the inside is an extremely exciting proposition.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter @GarethCordery and thanks for joining us on this wild ride.

css.php