An Even Nastier Spill

I took the 8 am bus to work for the first time in almost 2 months, since bus service had just resumed the previous day. When I got in, I changed the dialysis buffer on the reconstitution using Kiyoe’s histones, called Hela histones, for the culture cells that they were purified from. Since the bus was running, Trudy and mom had decided to come and have lunch with me. When I met them at the bus stop around noon, they had some very bad news to report.

They had been walking down the concrete steps which led to campus, when mom fell off the side of them- down a 3-foot drop between the stairs and the tennis courts. To this day, mom has no idea what really happened to cause her to fall. She and Trudy had been talking about the fact that there was no railing on the stairs, and Trudy had said that this was because people rolled their bikes up the side of the stairs. The next thing mom remembered- she was flying through the air, then clutching the tennis court fence for a moment, and finally falling into the depression along the side of the stairs. She didn’t remember tripping, stumbling, or missing a step, and all Trudy remembered was seeing her clutch the fence before disappearing behind the stairs.

After sitting on the cement on which she landed for a while, mom stood up and continued on her way to the bus. By the time I met them, mom’s ankle was badly swollen, and she had a broad scrape across the bottom of one of her triceps. She had landed on the same side that she had fallen on in the bathroom, and expected to be even more badly bruised there. Mom didn’t see the point of going to the doctor in Japan, though, because she surmised that nothing was broken and imagined that there was little a doctor could do for bruises and swelling.

Before we got lunch, we stopped at Lawson’s, a convenience store in the hospital, and picked up some medical supplies. We got mom some aspirin and an ankle wrap, then headed to the restaurant on the top floor of the hospital. There, mom had a sausage with a side of fries, Trudy ordered spaghetti, and I had a beef cutlet, while they told me more details about their harrowing ordeal. After lunch, we stopped back at Lawson’s to pick up an ice pack that could be strapped to mom’s ankle, then went up to my office so that mom could see it and meet Kiyoe as well.

I changed my dialysis buffer and then walked Trudy and mom to the 1:55 bus. They took it easy for the rest of the day, as you could imagine. Mom took a long nap, and was asleep when I returned home at 6:10, after my last dialysis buffer change. For dinner, Justin and I walked to Gyoza no Osho and picked up gyoza, Chinese dumplings, and karage for dinner. Mom’s swelling had gone down some, but she was still in a considerable amount of pain. The scrape on her arm had now changed to a deep, purple bruise and she had trouble lifting that arm above her head.

We all went to bed early that night- it had been quite a day!

This entry was posted in Study abroad in Japan. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *