Killing the Lawn

I got in to work at 8:30, but had to wait for Kiyoe to come in before I could proceed with my experiments. Although I had purified the competitor DNA, I still wasn’t sure how much to add to my experiments. After talking with her, as well as searching through some of the literature, we settled on a 1 to 1 ratio of my chromosomal DNA to the competitor.

The rest of the day at work was pretty uneventful, and culminated with me mixing the three different amounts of DNA, histones, and buffers together and starting them dialyzing overnight. Although I had determined that the 1:1.75 ratio was the best ratio to use without competitor DNA added, this was not expected to be the right amount with it was added, since the competitor should prevent some of the “glop” from forming and would therefore presumably require less histones. In a way, I was starting from scratch as far as determining the correct ratios was concerned.

When I arrived home a little after 6, the family decided to go to Gyoza no Osho for dinner. Trudy had spent most of the day pulling up grass and weeds from the lawn, and was exhausted. In an attempt to defeat the jungle that was our yard, we had spread herbicide all over the lawn before we left on vacation. We had returned to a mostly dead lawn with tufts of grass that had survived growing in little clumps in it. Trudy had worked hard to make it look presentable once again.

After dinner, I helped Brennan work on the talk he had to give at school later that week. His teacher had cleared a whole class period for him to tell of his exciting journey that summer. We went through all of the pictures we had taken and chose the ones that he wanted to show in his presentation. We didn’t finish working on Brennan’s talk until around 11 pm, after which we joined the other two members of the family, who were already in bed.

This entry was posted in Study abroad in Japan. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *