Major Shopping

We were out of breakfast items, so I walked to Mandai before we left for church. I just picked up orange juice, a few boxes of cereal, as well as some eel and sushi rolls to take to another communion service where we going to share a potluck meal together at church. I figured that everyone would be expecting to try another of my home-cooked dishes, but we had been very busy that weekend and the sushi would just have to do. Luckily, Brennan was feeling much better after a good night’s rest. At church, they showed more of the video from the book of Matthew and each of the tables spent time discussing how it had impacted the individual members seated there. We then took communion together and had our meal. During the meal, people commented on how well the boys had been singing the Japanese songs out of the hymn book. Gladly, no one complained about my lack of cooking that day, the food we had brought disappeared quickly, along with the other delicacies which covered our table.

After lunch there was a short break while the church prepared to throw a baby shower. At this point, the kids asked if they could go do something else, so I sent them to Midori, the electronics store that was nearby the church, and told them to come back by 2 pm. Miyu, the baby whose shower it was, was 6 months old but the church had been unable to throw her a shower earlier, for various reasons. Miyu was one of the happiest babies I have seen; she looked our way during much of the shower and couldn’t help laughing every time she did. We played a game during the shower to predict what her future had in store and it ended up that she would be a kind, generous stockbroker who loved to cook. The shower ended about 2:45, after which Takashi and Tsuneko, the brother who had been arrested during his morning commute and his wife, had offered to take us to Costco.

The four of us piled into their car, along with the two of them, as well as their 2-year old son. We hoped that there would be room on the way back for any purchases that we made. Costco was a 15-minute drive along the nearby river; we parked in a parking garage and took a moving sidewalk down to the store that was large enough to fit the huge shopping carts. It was almost identical to the stores that we had been in at home, except the prices may have been somewhat higher. I predicted that we would end up spending $300 there. We kept filling the cart higher and higher with supplies while the kids traveled around and made sure they tasted every food sample that was being given out. For once we didn’t have to worry about being able to carry all of our groceries home at once, so we bought a lot of items. The total came to 34,000 yen, hopefully it would last us for a while!

The ride home from Costco took about 30 minutes, after which we discovered that our freezer was not as big as we had remembered it being. We had to take the drawer and the ice trays out and still did not have room enough for everything. We stuffed what we could in, and decided that the food we would eat within the next week could be put in the refrigerator. There were a few items that we had not gotten at Costco, simply because the portions were too huge for us to use in a short period of time. Justin and I walked back to Mandai to pick up these things: soda, tea, and packets of sweetener, along with a bento lunch for Justin for the following day. When we returned, Trudy had made the gnocchi that we had bought at Costco. I helped Brennan study for the tests that he would have during his upcoming week at school, watched some television, and then went to bed.

This entry was posted in Study abroad in Japan. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *